System requirements for QuickBooks Desktop 2017 and Enterprise Solutions 17.0
System requirements provides you the information needed to ensure your computer hardware, software, and operating system meet the minimum requirements for your version of QuickBooks Desktop.
[Recommended] Please take a moment to view our complimentary QuickBooks 2018 white paper for a detailed explanation of the QuickBooks Desktop 2018 system requirements. The white paper contains two QuickBooks 2018 system requirements sections - one for end users, and a more advanced guide for IT professionals.
This resource expands on the information shown below, and extensively details everything you need to know about. Additionally, this white paper is packed full of information about the new features in QuickBooks Desktop 2018.
As a member of the Intuit Million Dollar Club, we are authorized to sell QuickBooks Desktop at lower prices possible. Check out our current deals, and buy now via our online store
Operating systems supported:
- Windows 10, all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows 8.1 (Update 1), all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows 7 SP1, all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 10, Windows 8.1 (update 1) or Windows 7 SP1 (Enterprise and Professional editions only), natively installed
Note: Windows Home Server 2011 Edition is not supported.
- Linux: When using QBES Database Server-only installation – OpenSuse 42.1, Fedora 23, Red Hat 7 (Update 2)
- 2.4 GHz processor minimum
- 4 GB RAM minimum, 8GB RAM Recommended
- Server RAM Requirements:
- 0-5 Users: 8GB RAM
- 10+ Users: 12GB RAM
- 15+ Users: 16GB RAM
- 20+ Users 20+GB RAM
- Server RAM Requirements:
- 4x DVD-ROM drive required for CD installations (unless user is downloading QuickBooks from Intuit server).
- Display optimized for 1280 x 1024 screen resolution or higher with up to 2 Extended monitors
- Best optimized for Default DPI setting for a given computer.
- Internet access is required
- U.S. version
- Regional Settings are supported when set to English (United States) with keyboard setting to U.S. only
- Administrator Rights required for the server computer when hosting Multi User Access
- Natively installed
Note: Natively installed means it was installed on a particular system or environment that it was designed for. This also means that it doesn't need to run in a virtual environment or emulation software.
- Disk space requirements:
- 2.5 GB of disk space (additional space required for data files)
- Additional software: 60 MB for Microsoft .NET 4.6 Runtime, provided on the QuickBooks CD
- Additional requirements for Intuit Data Protect in QuickBooks Connected Services offerings
- Require minimum 4.0 GB RAM
- Twice the size of the largest File set to back up + 100MB or twice the size to restore. The space is only required from the work folder LocalApplicationData+”Intuit\Intuit Data Protect"
- NOTE: Storing the large QBW data file on an SSD will greatly speed up performance and is encouraged.
QuickBooks is capable of integrating with hundreds of third-party applications. The following integrations are provided with QuickBooks; additional RAM will enhance the use of these features. See Intuit Marketplace for the most up-to-date list.
- Microsoft Office:
- Office 2016 (including Outlook 2016) both on 32 and 64-bit
- Office 2010 and Office 2013/365 (including Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013) both on 32 and 64 bit. (Note: Office 365 is only supported when it is locally installed, not the web version.)
- Preparing letters requires Microsoft Word 2016, 2013, 2010 or Office 365
- Exporting reports requires Microsoft Excel 2016, 2013, 2010 or Office 365
- Contact Synchronization with Microsoft Outlook requires Outlook 2010 (32 bit)
- Synchronization with Outlook requires QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook (the download is available at no charge).
Contact Sync does not work with the Microsoft Business Contact Manager Outlook plug-in. If a sync is performed, duplicate records could result
- Mozilla Thunderbird Email Client
- QuickBooks Point of Sale 2015 V12.0, V11.0 , V10.0
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Business Planner functionality and viewing forms requires Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or later.
- Payroll and other online features and services requires Internet access with at least a 56 Kbps connection speed (DSL or cable modem recommended).
- TurboTax 2015 and 2014 (Personal and Business)
- Lacerte 2015 and 2014
- Pro-Series tax years 2015 and 2014
- QuickBooks for Mac 2016
- Gmail, Yahoo Email, Outlook and other SMTP supporting E-mail clients
- Internet Explorer 11
QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier 2017 and Enterprise 17.0 have been tested with the following firewall and antivirus products.
Note: In some cases, it may be necessary to adjust settings in these products to ensure the best possible performance with QuickBooks.
- Windows Server Firewall (all editions)
- Windows 8.1 Firewall (all editions)
- Windows 7 Firewall (all editions)
- Microsoft Security Essentials
Note: QuickBooks Desktop will work with systems running RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) but this is not recommended because performance issues may cause QuickBooks to operate slowly.
Questions about QuickBooks?
Submit the form below for a complimentary QuickBooks product consultation.